18 February 2009

Can this Outfit be turned into a Color Scheme?

It's a common designer's trick for generating color palettes and schemes: springboard off the color combinations from a favorite photo, swatch of fabric, bubblegum wrapper, your old prom corsage--whatever you find pleasing to your eye's sense of color. I do it all the time.

And with this rather fun and easy-breezy online tool I found today, you can too. I tried it myself, and here's what I got:



It didn't quite capture the colors in the striped socks (or the brilliance of Marc Jacobs), so there's a dearth of accent colors to choose from. But a better quality photo or digital file might be the fix. I think I'll use this mainly to get those Web-safe color codes you need when generating content for the Internet--just roll over a color-chip with your mouse and voila, the code is revealed. But I'm already imagining all kinds of alternative uses for this tool... Come to think of it, it might come in handy while yarn shopping for that self-portrait in latch-hook I've been meaning to try...
Give it a whirl: http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment