22 February 2010

Does self-esteem reside in the left brain?


Science is confirming what I've long suspected: the left half of my brain has a bigger ego than the right.

When the left hemisphere is in charge, subjects are more likely to associate themselves with positive attributes, such as "capable," according to a study published in Cortex. When the right hemisphere is in charge, subjects gravitate more toward negative attributes, such as "boring."

In other words, the left hemisphere has confidence that it's awesome, and the right hemisphere mostly has self-esteem issues.

That explains so much. I've had two careers, one very right-brain and the other very left. At the left-brain job, I knocked shit out, no problem. At the right-brain job, it was round-the-clock angst. If I could transfer the big ego to my right brain and give all the humility to my left, I'd probably get a lot farther in life. Sigh.

If you have any comments to submit, please do. Just remember: All mean comments should go to the left; All nice comments should go to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment