24 October 2008

Oops, my bad...

I got confused by the fact that I received an email this morning telling me that the deadline for Campaign contributions was tonight, and so...

I made a gaffe. I hope you'll bear with me, though, because this "watchdog" thing is a new role for me...

And in my defense, I have been living in a bit of a "bubble" these days, in a brand new apartment, and a brand new town, and I've been (maddeningly, frustratingly) unable to work as an Art-Dog (my usual gig) due to a Workers Comp Injury to my hand. I don't look at calendars much as of late.

But, I'd like to retain this part of my prior post which I've double-fact-checked now. Here it is...

The Obama Campaign is currently negotiating with the City of Chicago over the costs of hosting the one million (!) or so supporters expected to convene at Grant Park (named after Ulysses S. Grant) on Election Night, where Obama will be, in spite of the cold and blustery conditions expected there (we are the City of da Bears, so cold & blustery is old hat for us). The Obama Campaign does not think the taxpayers of Chicago and Illinois should be stuck footing the bill. Help them help Chicago, my old hometown. And remember, Illinois was the home state of Abraham Lincoln. He was a Republican, but I'll bet old Abe himself would get a little verklempt at that sight... don't you think? Maybe old General Grant would too, as well.

And think upon this: I think we'd all love to see the 21st Century version of a Norman Rockwell painting. And if my hunch is correct, that picture will be painted against the backdrop of Grant Park in Chicago.

I guess that's the old Production Designer in me, raising her tired old head: I'm always trying to give events a bit of Art Direction... and wanting the budget to do it right. The way it deserves.

And to those who actually can, even in these brutal economic times, afford to contribute more: How about a symbolic contribution of $894, which was McCain's class rank at the U.S. Naval Academy, out of a class of 899. That's right, y'all, 894 out of 899(!) Meaning, McCain was only "smarter" than exactly five (5) of his classmates. Look it up and verify, if you want to double-check for yourself... which is a good rule-of-thumb to follow in life generally, imho. But to make it easier, here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

No comments:

Post a Comment