04 November 2008

I Just Rocked My Vote!

Only for Barack would I have dragged my ass out of bed at 5AM so I could be on line already when the polls opened at 7AM. Lucky for me, I don't live in a Battleground State, so the process was pretty smooth and fast.

During the short time I waited, though, I noticed that everyone seemed... happy(!) And full of friendly good-will towards their neighbors. It was really, really nice... you know? We all joked around, and laughed as we wondered if Bush Jr. would be allowed out of the bunker once the election's over. And the poll-worker got a good laugh out of how hard I was punching the pen into my ballot--to which I replied, "I have exactly two words for you: hanging chads. No way are my chads going to hang..."

Then I walked to Starbucks and got my reward: a free tall cup of coffee (just tell them you voted, and you can get one too). As I walked home, I thought about this: how lucky we would be to have a President who is, in the eyes of the world, like a JFK-meets-Mohammed Ali-meets-The Beatles. Seriously, he's that much of a global rock-star already. You've even got Chavez clamoring to get Obama's ear, saying "I want to get closer to the black man" (um, Hugo... you may want to stop incessantly referring to Obama as "the black man"--you dum-dum). Only in the United States, Jordan, and Pakistan do McCain's popularity numbers even begin to approach Obama's. And as we all know, there's great power in popularity.

Look, I generally find celebrity worship to be rather... distasteful, to put it mildly. But hey, I'm more than happy to let my President work his global celebrity status, if it helps him help us and our planet earth. America, we are on the verge of having as our President the world's most "money" Front-Man!! Just imagine... all the people sharing all the world--yes, John Lennon's song is playing in my head right now. What can I say, I'm a hippie-dippie at heart, and a hope(less/full) dreamer...

Go 'Bama!

No comments:

Post a Comment